Recipe – Potato Gnocchi
1kg Desiree Potatoes
Recipe – Mushroom Cream
200g dried Porcini Mushrooms (soaked overnight & chopped roughly)
200mL White Wine
1 Onion (finely dice)
½ bunch Thyme (picked & chopped)
Recipe – Mixed Mushrooms
3 Field Mushrooms (de-stemmed & sliced)
1 bunch Enoki (bottom cut off & separated)
2 punnets Swiss Brown (sliced)
2 punnets Oyster Mushrooms (teared roughly)
2 punnets King Brown (sliced)
1 bunch Chives (finely sliced)
1 Lemon (juiced)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Method – Pasta Dough
1) Pre heat oven to 180*C. On a flat tray, line the bottom with rock salt. Place the potatoes on the rock salt with space in between so the potatoes cook evenly. Cook for 45mins – 1hr or until soft.
2) Once the potatoes are soft take them out of the oven. You will need to work very quickly! Put food grade latex gloves on and cut them in half then squeezing the flesh out from the skin (if they are cooked properly this will be easy).
3) Now with a moulis or potato masher, mash them into a bowl.
4) Once this process is done weigh the potatoes. So what you have left do 25% flour, 20% grated parmesan and one egg p/kg. So if you have 700g of roasted potato you will do 175g flour, 70g grated parmesan and one egg.
5) Bring all ingredients together with your hands. Roll out about a handful at a time on a floured bench. Cut into pillows, around 1cm x 1cm. Place onto a floured trey.
6) Fill a pot with salted water and bring to the boil. Have ice water ready on the side in a large container or large bowl. Add the gnocchi in batches to the boiling water, once they float to the top refresh them in the ice water.
7) When you have blanched all the gnocchi and the gnocchi is cold, drain & mix with olive oil. Set aside.
Method – Mushroom Cream
1) In a wide based pan, add 150mL of oil and bring to a medium heat.
2) Add the onions and time. Continue to sweat down until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
3) Now add the soaked porcini mushrooms and continue to sweat down.
4) Once the mushrooms are cooked, deglaze with the white wine and reduce by half.
5) Add the cream and continue to cook on a low heat. Once it has started to thicken slightly, strain and keep aside.
Method – Mixed Mushrooms
1) Sauté all mushrooms, on a high heat, separately until they are nicely caramalised or a golden colour. Season with salt and lay on trays with paper towel so it soaks up the excess oil.
1) In a pot of salted boiling water, add the gnocchi.
2) Start to heat the sauce.
3) Once the gnocchi start to float, add to the sauce.
4) Toss and season with salt if needed.
5) Add the chives and lemon juice.
6) Serve into bowls and scatter the mixed mushrooms over the top.
7) Shave enough parmesan, with a peeler, over the top and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil. Dig in!